Posted by: Eric | 2013-01-22

Looking for help in Durbs

I have a drinking problem and I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression disorder last year it becomes worse when I am drunk. I behave very badly when I am drunk and I am very scared because sometimes I fight with people and not remember what happened. I have a good job but I lose money and I also fight with my girlfriend. I do have medical aid. Where can I get good assistance in Durban

By admitting that you do have a drinking problem, you've made the most important first step forward. ANd alcohol always makes anxiety and depression worse, at the time or later. Doing ANYTHING while drunk that you don't later remember is sinister and a clear sign of needing proper expert help.
YOur GP may be able to recommend a good specialist in alcohol and other addiction problems or a good rehab facility locally ; or see a general psychiatrist for assessment and a more specific recommendation of someone to work with.

Posted by: A Mother | 2013-01-22

Congratulations on taking the bold step of admitting that you have a drinking problem and reaching out for help. In my opinion, that''s half the battle won.

My child is currently in rehabilitation in the Durban area, and has just celebrated 60 days of sobriety.

My child is in a centre that practices the 12 Step program, and it''s the best thing that''s every happened to us. It''s the only program that has brought sanity back into our home. I don''t want to break any forum rules, so I don''t know if I can tell you the name of the facility our child is in, perhaps CS can guide me here? It was important to us when we were looking for a suitable facility, to ensure that they followed the 12 step program.

Reply to A Mother