Question
Posted by: yakuza | 2011/03/09

looking for a shrink in cpt

I think I need help, I''ve always had difficulty getting over my ex''s, especially the latest one, truth be told, there are several I''m not over.....

I am looking for a psychiatrist in cape town, preferably a gay one, and preferably someone with a lot of experience, that could also hypnotise me, and see if he thinks I''ve got depression..... also, any idea of what a psychiatrist charges??? How does one go about looking for a shrink?

Some of us may indeed need some help to let go of past relaionships ( and not letting go of course prevents you from having new and better relationships ). What you're doing is like standing at the station, grieving over the train you missed, and not able to get on the train that has just arrived.
Whether you are gay or straight, its usually not necessary to match sexual orientation with the therapist, though perhaps with a gay relationship, a gay therapist might understand better. None of the orthodox listings of shrinks would list orientation, butin Cape Town there must be several Gay organizations, and maybe web-sites, which would keep track of gay-friendly therapists, and could recommend someone for you ?
To check whether you have depression, you need a good ordinary shrink who will check in a normal assessment - hypnosis is of no use whatever in such a diagnosis or in its treatment.
FAMSA also lists therapists and counsellors, but I'm not sure whether they check orientation. They could, though, advise on local likely costs, and will be listed in your phone book

1