Posted by: Worried | 2009-09-17

Longterm effect

hi. My stepdaughter of 6 is now living permanently with me. She has a 4 year old sister and a 8 month old half-brother. She chose to stay with me and her dad saying she doesnt want to stay with mom anymore. we live about 60km from each other so the school that she is currently doing Grade R in is quite far. My 4 yearold is in a school about 6 km from home. due to financial reasons we cannot afford to drive her all the way to the other school but we have been doing this for a month now.
I want to know what the effect can be on my stepdaughter if i move her now to a school closer to home and not only next year. I am very conflicted about this as her mom had her change between 4 schools in the last 2 years and i am scared this will have a negative effect if i move her now again to a new school .. but on the other hand, she might be better off. i really am desperate for some advice here. she is an extrovert and very spontaneous and not shy at all..but she doesnt have a proper routine and is only now starting to understand what a routine is and following our routine in the house..
thanks in advance for the advice

There really is no general law about such things. There isn't any reason to expect any damage whatever to a child from moving schools --- most kids do it at one time or another, for one reason or another. Assuming it will be traumatic can create trauma. At 6 she is old enough for you to have a family meeting and to discuss this with her, and explain why it is not possible to keep on transporting her to this previous school, and better to move her to the school where your child already goes ( which also suggests she could settle there and is unlikely to have to move again in the near future. ). And this may be a good time to do it, while she is already adjusting to the new home routine, and make it a happy part of this routine.