Question
Posted by: Amy | 2009-07-07

Long time panic sufferer

I have suffered from panic for many many years. If I just think about going to a mall with lots of people I start having a panic attack. What can I do? I' m desperate!

Expert ImageArchive

Psychologist: The feeling of not wanting to go to a mall with lots of people because of panic, is a commonly described problem in individuals who have had an attack. There is fear that you could be embarrassed or people will see you having an attack.

You need to first get the panic attack treated, by seeing a psychologist who specializes in panic, such as a cognitive behavior therapist. Avoiding going to the mall may keep the fear of having a panic attack strong and maintain the fear of panic. It is important to try and continue to go out and visit the Mall. Avoidance can become a symptom of anxiety problems, where an individual stops doing the social things they did before, maintaining relationships and being able to go out prevents panic and anxiety from interrupting your social life, it also decreases the fear you mau have about having future panic attacks.