Question
Posted by: Janet | 2009-07-07

Long Time Panic and Depression

I have had GAD for the past 17 years, and have been on numerous anti depressants, and been to numerous therapists. The bottom line is I KNOW I need to take control but sometimes the whole panic and depression thing robs one of all reason. I havent been able to work for the past year and that in itself has me in a constant state of panic as I know I need to be earning and be out there living and not merely existing. Since i am not working I do not have a medical aid and therefore cannot seek professional help once again. I am on fluoxitine 20mg a day. This past few days I have had very serious boughts of depression which led me to seek help from my GP, he has suggested I up my meds to 40mg and I am going for the thyroid hormonal blood test this week. My concern is that I have been here before and have always managed to find my way back to a reasonable quality of life but this time its taking so long to come right and I am so afraid of time that is passing me by. I am 34 and in a constant state of depression, teamed with feelings of worthlessness and guilt. I cannot sleep and find myself just feeling low all the time. I just dont know what to do anymore.. I know I am not alone in this but I feel so alone. I dont know if i should find out about claiming depression disability for a period of 6 months in order to just have come monies coming in and allow my new dose of meds to kick in so I can slowly get back into the stream of things....

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Janet
It seems your concerns and struggles have been long and tiring to cope with.You have taken the right action in putting medical treatment in place and it is wise to consider the advice of your GP regarding the increased dose of medication. A suggestion to consider is to keep your involvement with people and to have less times of isolation that feeds the depression . One wants to start to feed and improve the management of the depression and anxiety. As you have been to many therapists , there may be things that you remember of those sessions that could be useful now. I would also recommend councelling again at this stage ( eg. familly life centre , South AFrican Deppression Group etc.) to identify automatic negative thoughts that have perhaps become the very sustainance for depression and anxiety to thrive.The above centres could perhaps accommodate you finacially.
Remind yourself that as you take one step forward no matter how small, that it has made a difference toward your health. Continue the steps forward.
Kind Regards

1
Posted by: Carol Goussard | 2009-07-10

I don' t know what do do for this anymore, it has gotten so bad that I have bought a walker which does help a bit, I can be walking and all of a sudden find I cxannot go any further my breathing becomes difficult the first thing that I do in a store is grab hold of a trolly but now that I have my walker it is fine but I still hazve to stop for a while, I am on Tripilene but have now to take 6 every night and it is not helping as well as it should is there anything out there that I can try.

Reply to Carol Goussard