Question
Posted by: pinched | 2008/06/25

long term treatment for pinched nerves

I am getting a little desperate. Neck x-rays show that the channels where the nerves emerge are narrowed and the Gp says this is what is causing stiff neck, arms that get painful , cramp or go numb when I lie down and sometimes in other positions, even itching in a spot on my back where there is nothing to see. A similar thing has recently started with my legs. I haven't had x-rays taken yet. If I have both anti-iflammatories and muscle relaxants when I go to bed, I get through most of the night, but if I don't take them, I am up half the night wallking off the pain, cramps and pins and needles. I estimate I have 30 years of life left. How can I handle this condition? If the drugs don't kill me off early the pain or lack of sleep will!

Dear Pinched
Please see a physiotherapist - this may make a huge difference. She will tell you if this is not working and if you should consider seeing an orthopedic surgeon for surgical decompression. The problem is that due to the irritation of the nerves, the muscles go into spasm and then puts more pressure on the nerves, increasing the symptoms. Sometimes all you need is muscle relaxing and nerve decompression and physiotherapy works better than pills!

1
Posted by: celana | 2009/05/01

My husband fell off a ladder 2 years back. He completely dislocated his elbow, but declined any medical treatment. The pain and swelling (and a lot of bruising) eventually subsided. Although he didn' t experience any pain for some time after the accident up to now, the arm wasn' t as strong as it used to be.
Since I have known him, he has had some mild chronic pain in his upper right back (rugby). Occasionally he had to get physio, but it always helped. About two months ago he had x-rays done on his neck, because of chronic pain. There is a degree of calcification, if my choice of word is correct. About a week ago he started having very serious pain in his upper right back (on the side of the mentioned elbow) and in his elbow. He went for Physio three times now, but has had no relief. He can' t turn over in bed, he can' t work and has constant excruciating pain. His elbow is not swollen, but very painful. I can see the mucsle in his upper back streched taut. He doesn' t believe that it will help to take x-rays, or maybe see a chiro or orthopedic. I don' t know if the problem is his back, arm or neck. Help!

Reply to celana