Posted by: Confused | 2008-12-03

Long term relationship doubts

Hi, I' m giving this a chance because I don' t know anyone who would give me an unbiased answer/ advise. I have Bipolar and I know that one of the symptoms is to actually alienate yourself from everyone but I want to know if I' m subconsiously sabotaging my relationship. I' ve been living with my bpyfriend for 4yrs now but I feel very insecure about whether we' re on the same page. Last year I asked him to get marry and he agreed till we were on our way to tell my parents when he told me that he doesn' t know if I' m the person he wants to spend his life with... Needless to say I was Shattered. Well since then obviously it' s still made it' s way through my mind. Recently I' ve noticed his lack of interest in me. He wants to go out all the time and doesn' t spend any time with me at home. I got sick a short while back with a Viral infection that paralised the right side of my body needless to say he wanted us to go out after an argument we did go and spend some time at a friends house...
Is he loosing interest or am I over dramatising the situation? I need advise please.

I don't think the situation you describe is typical of Bipolar Disorder, rather than of a fragile relationship. Why not see a relationship counsellor together. Surely it would benefit both of you to clarify what is and isn't happening, and where this relationship is and isn't going ?