Question
Posted by: Stella | 2004/06/08

Q.

LONG TERM EFFECTS OF MINI-PIL AND NON-MENSTRUATION

I've been using the mini-pil for 1 year now, but it seems not to be strong enough to activate menstruation on the 28th day. I have used Tri-minulette, Minulette and other brands before, but suffered from tender breasts and spotty skin, so my gynae put me on Mirelle. It seems to work fine, except that my menstruation stopped about 4 months ago. The gynae warned that this might happen. (I'm defenitely not pregnant and don't have any other problems). My question is- what will the long-term effects of non-menstruation be? I'm 37 and mother of 2 kids.

Regards,

Expert's Reply

A.

Mirelle is nto the mini-pill. It is a low dose combined pill. What is probably happening is that the uterine lining is being thinned out by the pill. You are still getting sufficient hormones in the Pill, so the only effect is that there may be a longer than usual delay in falling pregnant if you decide to do so.

Want to comment?