Posted by: Unexplained | 2011-05-12

Long term effec ts of sinus infection

Just over a year ago I had a terrible sinus infection, which I did not get treatment for but endured for a long time taking painkillers and standing upside down while pouring salt water into my nose ot clear congestion an drelieve pressure.

Now I still suffer daily throbbing between my eys and above my right ey, the brow. Some days its not so bad, other days its throbbing and painful to slight pressure. I take painkillers daily to deal with it.

Any idea why?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Unexplained

You need to see an ENT regarding the persistent throbbing. Any infection, if left untreated in the acute stage, would have given you severe problems by now. The reason you are still experiencing pain could be due to build up of pressure in the sinus cavity, thus resulting in pain. This could be due to build up of pus, or just mucous, or perhaps a growth in the area, as a well treated infective process deos not usually linger this long.
The painkillers are only masking the underlying problem. Proper drainage needs to be re-established to the area, and this should be possible, as you did not suffer this problem in the past. All you may need could be a decongestant and a course of aNti-biotics. Your initial managementplan was not incorrect, but as a general rule, if a problem does not correct itself in a reasonable amount of time, you should see a doctor.