Posted by: Eva | 2009-04-16

long-suffering wife continued..

CS, you wanted my advice for the long-suffereing wife. I have dealt with women with this type of husband before and the only effective trick was to use a miniature cassette recorder to record the husband' s behaviour. One lady then presented this at a family dinner with the married children, (as she feared her husband' s reaction). The children gave her the support she needed. As it turns out, the husband did not change for the better, but divorced her for betraying him. I still see her from time to time and she is a new woman. It makes one wonder whether it is worth trying to save a marriage in which only one partner is dissatisfied. The other lady presented the recording to her husband privately and he too, felt betrayed and has yet to forgive her for recording his bad behaviour. However, he has become somewhat less obnoxious. Not true success in either case, but a change for the better, I think.

Neat trick, if his misbehaviour is audible, and the married children caring and available. If he felt betrayed by having his misbehaviour revealed, she was well rid o him.