Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2009/11/10

Long One- CS missed a few

Hi Cs
Can you tell me what the effects of kids watching movies not suitable for their age group has?
I have younger siblings and the thing is I do not stay at home but visit often.
I went to visit and the and walked into my sisters room(13). A few of her friends were over and my brother(11) and they were watching a movie.
Now as I came in my brother said, Um you can'  t watch this! You have to get out! I'  m 25.
So anyways it turns out they were watching I can'  t remember the exact title but something about some guy '  making a porno' 

Now since I don'  t stay there anymore they do not listen to me.
I used to make sure the movies they hire are for their age and if not id take it back.
With my parents they do not check anything! They do not know how to work cell phones for one, my sister has one and she has a PIN on, let alone knows how to use a pc.
So the next day they all gone and I browse through her pc and there were movies on there with titles you would not believe, even the ones that seem innocent I mean I browsed through them, horrors, comedies, drama etc they are for 18+ only, and the lang.used! The things in these movies I only recently discovered existed to be honest, the words out of the top shelf!Things I'  ve never heard before.
In the one scene in this movie there are a variety of sex toys and this lady demonstrates to a group of guys how she uses them.
Well I deleted them all and asked my mom why there’  s porn on their pc.
Her reply '  well kids now a days know everything, there’  s no point in not allowing them to watch whatever they want, they can tell you better' 
You know I was so shocked I just left it at that.
They were however very upset that I deleted their movies but when I came to check again they had added some more to the collection.
Now these are not '  porn'  movies, they are normal movies but with lots of explicit sex scenes, language, violence esp. against women, demeaning women etc and it makes me sick that they are watching it!

Now let me also tell you that about a year ago I was thrown out of my home, by my parents because my mom had found out that I was on the pill.
I was a virgin until 24 and decided to lose it to my bf of 3yrs and went on the pill.
The first week she found it even though I left it at work and only took home what was needed for the weekend, she found that.
All hell broke loose, I was called a whore, slut etc etc in front of my siblings and told to get my stuff out as I disgusted them!
My bf and I got a place and we getting married next year and it took me a while to forgive them, I just went to visit and pretended nothing had happened and I could see that mother kind of knew she was wrong in what she done.
Gosh are we just one dysfunctional family or what
So from that to this... I have decided to just let them be but it bothers me. They have also lost respect for me because of the incident that happened before so it will just be thrown in my face.

I'm not sure what was happening then - there's nothing you at 25 are not allowed to watch, and much that they at 11 and 13 should not be watching. But some of those are simply silly and vulgar films ( Hollywood seems keen to make those these days, for teenagers with no taste ) and some are more seriously disturbing.
It sounds truly bizarre that your mother rejected you, at your age, for responsibly going on the pill, and doesn't mind her 11 and 13 year-olds watching anything they please. She sounds like a contradictory and irresponsible mother. Possibly no to the degree that Child Welfare should become involved - but hve you had a calm word with her or your dad about what the kids are watching ? Most parents know s little about computers and downloads that they cant and dont keep track of such things

4
Posted by: Sam | 2009/11/11

Yes, I don' t think the sex films are good either, as they might have the same effect as the horror films, in that they will no longer take sex seriously, which can be dangerous.

Reply to Sam
Posted by: Kelly | 2009/11/10

I get nightmares even attempting to watch a horror movie!
Well I think its had the same effect on them because horrors do not scare them at all, the rather find it funny!
but the sex scenes... I just think they too young and it could send the wrong msg or give them ideas or make them think its ok.

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: sam | 2009/11/10

I watched a lot of horror films from a young age, and as a result, I no longer find any of them scary lol. I know it sounds funny, but seriously, I am completely immune to them, so I don’ t know what “ damage”  they are supposed to do to children.

Reply to sam