Question
Posted by: Sheena | 2012-08-13

LONG Menstrual Cycle..?

Hallo Dr ,
I am 41 years old and I have normally have a regular Menstrual Cycle..normally 26days appart, day one being the day I see the first blood..
I had my last normal menstual cycle in April and skipped 3 months..than I got some light " spotting"  (blood but not normal) with little blood.
I usually have pain with my menstrual cycle and more if it is more than 29 days appart.
On the first of this month iit started and there is blood but not a lot and it is light in colour..but some days it includes what I call " livers"  and some days it is little pieces and some days it is bigger..
NORMALLY..I see the first signs of my menstrual cycle starting and that is my day 1 then the flow gets heavier for 2 days and than on day 4 or 5 the blood gets the brownish colour and the cycle ends..I normally have moderate to a lot of pain.
This time it is more pink in colour with the brown colour normally signalling the end of the cycle BUT then I get the pienk blood and " livers"  again..it goes on like this..
I am sitll bleeding and it is day 13 today..!!!!!
This time I have no pain at all..
Before this cycle started I felt something when I bent over..like a cramp on my right side..?
MY QUESTIONS..
1) Can this be the beginning of manapause..?
I dont have any flashes or mood swings but I am irretable because this is lasting so long..!!
2) Can I be pregnant..?
3) Could this be a miscarage..?
Should I be worried..??
I went for blood tests in April and the counts was hiigh and they said it might be because of PREGNANCY or Menapause..
Dont think I am pregnant because we have been hapilly married for 23 years and we were not able to have any children..the only answer we got is that it is something on microscopic level that is the cause..?
Hope to hear for Doctor soon..!!
Thank you for answering my post..!!!!

This may well be perimenopausal bleeding. The fact that you have not had a period for 3 months means that the womb lining will be thicker than usual and you would therefore have a longer and /or heavier period.If you have not had a gynae check-up in the past year, you should do so to exclude any problems with the uterus or cervix.

2
Posted by: Curious | 2014-10-08

My daughter who is 24yrs old suffered a miscarriage almost a year ago, and since experiences more than 1 cycle a month up to 4 days apart. Prior to this, her cycle was 24 days apart either the beginning or at the end of the month. Lately, she has heavy clots and has picked up a lot of weight without any over eating or change of diet. The contraceptive her gynae prescribed is Mercilon. She has now stopped the contraceptive to see if things would get better. I am concerned with these many cycles she is going through and that she may end up anaemic. She has no children. Please can you advise what she can do. Worried mum

Reply to Curious
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-08-17