Question
Posted by: Renee | 2011-11-23

long lasting steriod injections

Refer post 132 - itching cat.

I took my cat to the vet and he was given Dexa-Medrol and Dexa 0.2 injectable as this worked the last time my cat had an itchy skin 6 months ago.

Having now done some research, I note that this might not be good for his health in the long run. He had no visible ill effects except for being quite lethargic for a few hours. Your thoughts?

Secondly I notice a small lump in the vicinity where he had the shot (just below the shoulder blade on the tail side). Should I be concerned? The shot was given on 9/11.

Thanks!

Hi Renee

You need to discuss your cat’s treatment plan with your veterinary surgeon. Try and use diagnostics to identify what the problem is. Depo-Medrol is generally used as a last resort in selective patient with skin problems. The clinician should be informative regarding the use of such drugs so that the client knows what the side-effects are if they arise.

The lump may or may not be associated with the injection. If you are concerned please revisit your vet and discuss your concerns.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-11-28

Hi Renee

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet