Posted by: Angie | 2010-06-13

long illness

my dad has been sick for about a month now. He had flu and bronchitis. He is type 2 diabetic. He became dehydrated and blood sugar was out of control (37,8) He was in a coma for a short time and had a minor stroke. He was admitted to hospital where he was given insulin and was rehydrated. He has been discharged last Tuesday. He became constipated. I have managed to keep him hydrated, the blood sugar is normal (sometime a bit high) and is eating well when I feed him. My concern now is his weakness. He will only eat if i force him, only go to the toilet if I force him andf take him. If I don''t take him to the toilet, he wets the bed. Some days I can change the bed 4 times in the day. If I didn''t wake him up to get fresh air or exercise, sit in a chair, he would sleep all day. I don''t know if he is depressed, stubborn or simply not capable. How can I help him? When I speak to him about how he is feeling he says he is just exhausted. He says if I get him a potty, he will use it, if I get him a walker he will use it. I have to remind him to do that. I am now at my wits end. I don''t know whether I should put him in a frail care, get a home nurse or just get tough on him. Please help. Dad is 72.

Please do not get tough on him. He is really ill and this episode will have a severe effect on his psyche. I will venture an opinion that he is physically not capable, as well as depressed. After such an insident he needs frail care and love. If you are not able to take care of him, I suggest that you place him in a frail care facility with good standards and where caring is given with love and respect.