Question
Posted by: Liezel | 2011-02-01

Long grain rice

GOOD MORNING DOCTOR IT IS ME AGAIN,I JUST LIKE TO KNOW DOCTOR LONG GRAIN RICE IS IT A SUBSTITUTE FOR BROWN RICE OR NOT AND IS IT SAFE TO USE IN ONE''S DIET.ON THE PACK IT IS WRITTEN THE RICE IS LOW IN FAT,HIGH IN FIBRE AND ENERGY.WILL 1 CUP OF LONG GRAIN RICE DO IN MY DIET WITH 1 CUP COOK VEGGIES AND 1 CHICKEN BREAST FOR SUPPER.

THANK YOU
LIEZEL

Dear Liezel
Good to hear from you again. According to the SA Glycemic Load & Index Guide, white long grain rice has a low GI, so you can substitute it for brown rice in your supper. All types of rice are low in fat. Cooked white rice contains about 540 kJ per 100g (weigh your cup of rice to see how many kJ it contains), while cooked brown rice contains 460 kJ/100g (it therefore contains less energy than white rice). The dietary fibre content for brown rice is 1.7 g/100, while it is only 0.4 g/100g for white rice according to the SA Food Tables, so I don't know why the label says it is high in fibre unless the rice is not processed and still contains the husks?
Enjoy

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-02-01

Dear Liezel
Enjoy