Posted by: Cathy | 2012-07-05

Lonely is the night

Good day, Both myself and my partner (50) have trouble sleeping. He tosses and turns all night and I keep waking up. I sleep incredibly light. Not even a brand new memory foam bed has helped for this. I now lie with him until he is asleep and then go and sleep in another bed. Then back to him before he wakes up. He wakes up at 3am and doesnt sleep again, every night without fail. Would something like melatonien help him reset his internal clock or could it be something else all together?

My problem on the other hand is that I have been on sleeping pills on and off for years. Zopiclone, lexotan, atterax - when one stops working I used to switch to another. I used to sleep deeply and now such an incredibly light fussy sleeper. It drives me crazy. I have now finally quit all sleep med for good except for valdoxane, which is a mild antidepressant focussed on improving sleep patterns/ melatonien. Since leaving the sleeping pills my sleep pattern is now desperate. Some nights not falling asleep until 1 am other nights waking up at 3 am - wide awake and not being able to sleep again. Is this due to leaving the chemicals? Inspite of getting only 4 or 5 hours, I feel much better the following day (still tired but not a zombie drug induced feeling) Being awake at night is causing me anxiety though. When I am awake for so long I also get bored with paging through boring reading material as its said that any stimulating reading is also no good. Am I on the right track? How long before my body will adjust to normal? and will I sleep deeper again and not wake up so easily once this is established? Been to a sleep clinic no physical problem e.g. RLS, sleep apnea. What is your opinion of hypnotheripy? This seems to be the only thing I havent tried.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

The last time I looked, there were over 85 different sleep disorders, and just about all of them can present as one or other form of insomnia.

The sleep laboratory is focussed on determining conditions causing excessive sleep, not insomnia, so it was to be expected, perhaps, that no significant result would arise.

I would most certainly not recommend that you experiment with melatonin, and sleeping pills are probably only going to create a dependency on the medication, but are unlikely to have any long-lasting benefit.

You really need to be examined and treated by someone who has training and experience in the management of sleep disorders. Many of these conditions are best treated using behavioural techniques - so-called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia (CBTI). Hypnosis does not have good results.

But the first issue is going to be what type of sleep disorder you have. The fact that you have responded, at least to a certain degree, to an antidepressant, may be significant. But please get to see someone with expertise in this field. It is becoming a very specialised field and, with all appropriate respect to your doctors, is generally outside the field of training of almost all GPs, and even most psychiatrists.

Posted by: Fabian | 2012-10-16

drinking 3 cups of water right before bed will canetirly help you pee in the morning.not drinking water for 3 hours will do a good job of making you thirsty.but, your face is probably bloated for other reasons: drinking alcohol, side effects of medications, swelling from a black eye. not from drinking water a certain time before bed.

Reply to Fabian
Posted by: Catht | 2012-07-06

Thank you very much. I will most certainly follow your advice. Can you recommend a sleep specialist please?

Reply to Catht