Question
Posted by: Zoe | 2010-05-11

Local version of Oxycontin?

Dear Sir - My 47 year old sister was badly injured in a car accident in the USA while vacationing there. She broke her collar bone, has three broken ribs and a pretty severe bone break to her hip as well. Before we flew her back home on a mercy flight, she was given Oxycontin by the USA health system which at least made her comfortable and not in such great pain.
She does not have any medical aid locally so is on the waiting list at the JHB gen to undergo futher surgery. I was told at the hospital that Oxycontin is not available locally so they have given her TRAMACET instead, saying this works equally well. My sister however is in extreme pain.
Could you tell me if there is in fact a medication with the same contents as Oxycontin locally? I will then ask my own G.P if he can prescribe those medicines for my sister until such time as my sister can be operated on round about the 3rd week of May.
Thanking you kindly for your response.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Oxycodone is an opioid analgesic medication - Tramacet falls in the same category. Should you wish to you can discuss the use of other opioids such as codeine or morphine with your doctor.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010-05-12

Reply to pharmacist