Posted by: Christine Botha | 2009-09-01

LLETZ procedure

My pap smear came back with sin3 dysplasia 3 weeks ago. since then, i went back for the colposcopy procedure during which the gynae remarked that the cervix looks normal, but she took biopsy from 3 diff spots. the pathology came back as normal. i was so relieved, but she asked me to come and see her where she told me they can' t abide by the biopsy report. she must do a lletz - also said that if the lletz pathology comes back clean, that a hysterectomy will have to be performed. i do not understand why. i was also diagnosed with a myoma in the uterus wall - how often is this malignant and is there a way to determine the state of the tumour? i am scheduled for the lletz on Thurs, 03/09. hoping to hear from you soon. Christine Botha,

I agree that you should have a LLETZ but, if this is clear, I don't see why a hysterectomy would be necessary. Fibroids are generally benign and only need surgery if they are big or causing symptoms.