Question
Posted by: rene | 2010/06/14

living without sex?

i am in the process of getting divorced and I dont intend to date or remarry for at lease 5 years. I have a 8th month old baby an I intend to focus on the development and well being. Is it healthy to stay without sex for such a long time or will I be affected in some way?

Dear Rene

Going through a divorce can be a very stressful and caring for a young child is demanding. You mention that you would like to remain single for a while. A period of abstinence is not detrimental to one's health.

7
Posted by: Oldster | 2010/06/15

I agree with the general comments. Don''t get into any physical relationship too soon. " Too soon"  depends on you personally but you don''t want to be swept away by some guy who sees you as vulnerable. Now, soon after the divorce you will be feeling as if sex is the last thing on your mind and you are full of resolve, but human nature has a habit of by-passing that when you least expect it and you may find yourself " ready" . If you do, perhaps it would be wiser to pleasure yourself until such time as you wish to settle into a meaningful relationship. That way you keep your body tuned and it does not simply dry up. Good luck

Reply to Oldster
Posted by: XXX | 2010/06/14

Having no sex will not harm you but there will come a time when you really want it again.Just wait for the right guy to come along-whether it be 6mths or 3 years.
Every dog out there will try his luck with you but be strong and wait for the nright time.

Reply to XXX
Posted by: S | 2010/06/14

Sexual drive and sexual appetite is as individual as a fingerprint. Every one differs in some way. You will know.

Reply to S
Posted by: Woman | 2010/06/14

There is nothing wrong with taking a break from sex, but my advice would be to not put a time limit on it. Maybe in 2 years, you meet a great guy, and the you feel like you''re breaking a promise to yourself.

Divorce is horrible- your insides feel like they''re ripped out for the world to see, then there is the period where you adjust to the responsibilities of single parenthood. It takes time, but your pain and unhappiness will eventually go away (or at least retreat to a dull ache).

Not having sex when you''re single and not emotionally ready to commit is actually a smart thing to do, doubly so because you have the responsibility for your child.

Good luck to you - in the end, only you can know what is best for you, and your child. In the mean time, there''s always a whole host of battery operated boyfriends you can buy...

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Maryanne | 2010/06/14

Rene, were you in a sexless marriage? If so, then you''ll survive.

Reply to Maryanne
Posted by: Roy | 2010/06/14

Hi Rene, nothing will happen to you in fact to stay away from a relationship can only do you good. Sex you can enjoy again if you feel you are up for another relationship

Reply to Roy
Posted by: sexologist | 2010/06/14

Dear Rene

Reply to sexologist