Question
Posted by: Mthetwa | 2010/01/21

Living with Girlfriend and younger brother

I will be moving in with my girlfriend in an apartment my parents purchased. My parents have asked me to live with my younger brother who is doing his last year of varsity this year. This is to merely cut costs and keep him on the straight and narrow.

My girlfriend is a very demanding and confrontational person, whereas my brother is very laid back and a bit carefree. Do you think it is a good idea to live with my girlfriend and younger brother?

I would appreciate some advice.

Sounds like your parents, who have, after all, bought the apartment, are very reasonable in asking you to keep an eye on your younger brother.
I would be cautious about having your current girlfriend move in, too, is she is so demanding, high maintenance and confrontational. These are bad habits she would do well to learn to control, rather than encouraged to indulge in. I doubt that your parents bought the flat for her sake, did they ?
Maybe a calm discussion with her explaining the situation, would be a good idea. After all, she can visit you in the flat without having to move in and feel too much as though she owns the place, until you get to know her better

3
Posted by: Girl | 2010/01/22

Why don' t you make this arrangement temporal until she has settled in? The reason i' m suggesting this is because she will have to play " wife"  or " mama"  in the house. Ofcourse she will have to cook, wash the dishes, clean and do other things. Is she prepared for that?

Are your parents aware that she' s moving in with you?

I also think you need to discuss this further with her maybe you may both agree. Love love love crazy love !!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck !!!!!

Reply to Girl
Posted by: Mthetwa | 2010/01/21

Thank you for the swift response.

I have been dating her for almost 2 years now. The parents definitely did not buy the apartment for her sake. The thing is starting a new job up here in Jo' burg on the 1st of Feb and I did not want her to have to spend all her money on buying furniture and paying rent at the moment.

Reply to Mthetwa