Question
Posted by: sleepless | 2011/11/15

Living with depression

hi doc
i have quite a few issues personal relationships, adult deficit disorder depression etc . i need a psychiatrist with some sort psychoanalytic interest
would you be able to refer me or help???/
thanks

Psychoanalysis is useless for whatever might be labelled as Adult ADHD, and there amazingly little evidence after the many decades its been around, that its much use for anything at all.
In my response to your neighbouring question, I have responded on the issue of finding a suitable therapist.
Also, its not useful to arrive at a shrink asking specifically for analysis, as this is like arriving at a surgeon demanding he remove your appendix, even though you might turn out to have thyroid problems. I usually recommend you aim for a therapist capable of CBT, because there is a large body of good research showing benefits for this method in a wide range of conditions, more than any other currently available method.

1