Posted by: nervous wreck | 2008-11-18

Living with a depressed teen

I' d already posted in the parenting corner....please advice

My fiance'  s mother passed away last month,he is 25 and I'  m 24,we live together,he has a younger sister who just turned 17 and is in his high school,his little sister has since moved in with us because there is no other famiily member left.She is a sweet,but expremely shy and quiet person,we are not close,since we never used to spend a lot of time together in the past.I see that she is hurting so much,but every time I offer her a shoulder to cry on,she turns me down.I try small talk,girls night outs,cooking sessions together but she is not interesting in anything.I know she has nothing against me,that'  s just the person she is,a loner.My biggest concern is that she doesn'  t have friends at all,doesn'  t open up to her brother or any one else,she is seeing a professional at the moment,but that is it.Please give me advice,I don'  t know what she is going through,with the loss of her mom,but I really want to help her.Please give advice.My fiance really tries to talk to her,but she doesn'  t open up

Expert ImageTeen expert

As you describe her as a quiet, private person that may also be how she is handling this loss and grief. Sometimes, it is just worth letting the person know that you are there at any time for her, but also that there are no rules to grieving and that she must handle it at her own pace and in her own time.

It would also be useful to speak with or to ask advice from the professional she is seeing about what you can do to help. The person, for confidentiality reasons may not want to go into detail with you about what she is saying; but can at least advise you on how to be there for her in different ways at this difficult time.

This way you can lend support in ways that are useful and timely for her as she comes to terms with her loss.

Posted by: KELLY | 2009-03-30

i need to talk to someone about my personal stuff

Reply to KELLY
Posted by: Bear | 2008-11-19

Its been a month, give her some time, she will open up to you. A loss of a mother is devastating.

Keep trying, sounds like she is in good hands.

Reply to Bear
Posted by: nervous wreck | 2008-11-19

thank you very much.

Reply to nervous wreck