Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2010/09/03

Living together

Hi, me and my partner have been living together for 15 years without getting married or signing any partnership agreement. He now wants me and my kids to move out, willing to pay me a fairly large amount of money, some furniture and the car. Is this fair? Do i have any other rights here? Please help with advice.

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Currently a domestic partnership bill has been published for comment, however, it has not come into force yet. This bill makes provision for a partner in a "domestic partnership" to be able to claim maintenance as well as a portion of the movable and immovable assets of the other partner upon the termination of the partnership.

Your partner will have to pay maintenance for the children. I do not have all the facts on your assets and liabilities so it is difficult to advise you properly.

You can email me on: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/09/04

Reply to family law expert