Question
Posted by: Dave | 2011-12-03

Livifem HRT availability

My wife, now 49, had cancer treatment 12 years ago and went into early menopause. She has been on various HRT''s and have found Livifem the best suited for her. Now suddenly Livifem or its generic equivalents are no longer available. Can you please throw some light on this matter. Is it a temporary shortage? Is it being discontinued? Can I source it on-line?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Dave - all I have is this response form Adcock (seems like it will be back):

"Adcock Ingram, together with MSD (pharmaceutical company known as Merck in the US), is not in a position to supply a number of women’s health products (including Livifem) until further notice. Any of these products currently in the marketplace can continue to be used.
We have stopped supply of these women’s health products because of a number of aspects relating to product-related documentation which have to be updated to comply with global requirements. This documentation is currently being updated in conjunction with regulatory authorities.
These requirements include but are not limited to:
* Changes in labelling and packaging.
* Quality control and assurance of existing product.
* Consistency with global company standards.
The supply of these products, including Livifem, can be resumed only once the regulatory updates have been approved by the local regulatory authorities. These timelines could differ depending on the various products.
Communication has been sent out to the health-care professionals informing them of this gap.
We would like to assure you that this decision has been made with due consideration of the medical need for Livifem, and all the other affected women’s health products.
Please note that there is no impact on the quality or safety of the products currently in use by patients. Alternative therapies have been discussed with doctors. We advise patients to contact their doctor who will advise on an alternative medication.
We regret any inconvenience which may be caused as a result of the out-of-stock situation."

Prudence Mbatha,
External communications manager,
Adcock Ingram

35
Posted by: Sophia | 2015-10-19

I have been using Livifem for 3 months now, I'm gaining so much weight. Is there a replacement that I can use without gaining weight

Reply to Sophia
Posted by: priscilla | 2013-06-12

I have just been prescibed Livifem by the doctor, is it safe for use and for how long can one use it? Does it help with loss of hair (head)?

Reply to priscilla
Posted by: Magdel Kruger | 2012-03-27

How is it possible that so many women from all over South Africa complain about the availability of Livifem and the health authorities do not make this a matter of urgency. Surely the reason they give is lame and without any substance. How long does it take for a company to sort out the requirements? In the meantime thousands suffer - is the reason maybe because it does not affect men - so they could not be bothered!!

Reply to Magdel Kruger
Posted by: SANDRA HIER | 2012-03-24

Thought by chance there maybe something on the internet re Livifem. Cannot believe the amount of people like myself who are feeling the effects of not taking Livifem. I also was prescribed Angelique and I too had really problems (breast painful on touch) with it and have ceased using it, or anything else so far - Just waiting for Livifem. In Spain I was given BOLTIN as an alternative. I had no adverse effects from this. Will try the Livial next time in Europe, as it sounds quite similar to Livifem and may be the answer.

Reply to SANDRA HIER
Posted by: isabel benade | 2012-03-15

when will it be available. Closest replacement to LivifemM

Reply to isabel benade
Posted by: Maureen | 2012-03-06

I agree with all the above, firstly the clumsy, careless handling by Adcoc Ingram - but mainly the relevant medial government department, who are, apparently, responsible for the re-registering process. They do not answer their phones, are incoherent and disinterested if and when they do... and the phone call gets cur off when one sks further questions.... Shocking!! Have they got any idea (and do they actually care) of the effect it is having on thousands of women in SA? About time someone gave SA pharmacies some information, and published same in the national newspapers. It is a HUGE problem ... anyone out there listening??!

Reply to Maureen
Posted by: Emilia Potenza | 2012-03-05

Like so many others, I have been experiencing terrible hot flushes and insomnia since I have been forced to stop taking Livifem. I have just spoken to Anrew Nicolson on 011 655 3235 (see above) and he assures me that, all things being equal, Livifem should be available again in pharmacies in South Africa by mid-April 2012.
Apparently it is available in European countries where it is sold as Livial. Andrew has undertaken to confirm with me whether it is available in the UK or the US and what the trade name for it is in those countries. Though I have considered getting overseas friends to bring a supply for me, I haven''t gone this route yet as I haven''t been convinced that Livifem would ever be available in South Africa again.

Reply to Emilia Potenza
Posted by: Isaac Kopman | 2012-03-02

Prudence Mbatha''s reply is not clear, who is preventing the manufacture of Livifem, Ad -|- Ingram in South Africa or some South African " regulatory Authorities" ? I would appreciate a clear reply to this query.

Reply to Isaac Kopman
Posted by: Joyce Miles | 2012-03-01

I''m amazed to read how many other women besides myself have been adversely affected by the sudden unavailability of Livifem. I had begun to think I was suffering from some sort of illness because I feel so listless. I now feel sure it is because I am no longer able to take Livifem due to its unavailability. The excuse provided by Ad-Ingram is simply not good enough and it is obviously just extremely bad management for which they should take responsibility. At the very least, they should be able to provide users and pharmacies with information about when it will again be available. I sincerely hope another drug company sees a gap in the market and comes to our rescue. It infuriates me that we are " being held to ransom"  by Ad-Ingram.

Reply to Joyce Miles
Posted by: Sandi | 2012-02-29

I had breast cancer 8 years ago and have been on Livifem since my surgery. I found this product to be amazing and have never had any side effects. Ad-Ingram owe it to the public and the woman who support their product to at least tell the truth, it will eventually come out and then the backlash is going to be massive. Someone needs to be accountable for the mess up, but I suppose it will be a case of pass the buck, instead of the buck stops here. Outcome will be interesting and I will be watching A-I, we should all boycott your products and see how you cope with that!!!

Reply to Sandi
Posted by: Margaret Jenks | 2012-02-27

Below the latest reply from Ad -|- -Ingram. how does this fit in with their other comms? I have tried to phone - no reply - and have sent an e-mail - no reply so far either. I have not slept properly for about four months now - have endless hot flushes - tried angeliq and the side effects were horrible - surely something must happen soon!

The mail from Ad -|- -Ingram:

Thank you for your request.

PLease note that this is no longer an Ad -|- Ingram product it now belongs to a company called MSD, you can contact them on 011 655 3235 or andrew.nicolson@merck.com

Reply to Margaret Jenks
Posted by: Purl8 | 2012-02-24

My doc. has put me on Estrofem (1mg) the good news is that it has cleared my hot flushes but have to say that I do
not feel 100% as I have felt on Livifem. She told me that when the hot flushes ceased, I could then take Estrofem every 2nd day. I had a complete hysterectomy 11 years ago including the removal of my ovaries. I did try every conceiveable HRT without success until I was put on Livifem., so like all the above sufferers I am praying and hoping that we get Livifem or a substiute to get our lives back.

Reply to Purl8
Posted by: EE BRINK | 2012-02-23

ons almal wag op ''n antwoord.my moeder is dood a.g,v, borskanker en my ginekolooghet my op LIVIFEM gesit. ek het geen knoppe meer in my borse nie. NOU IS LIVIFEM NIE MEER BESKIKBAAR . ek vrek van die warmte, dit kan nie meer so aangaan nie.

Reply to EE BRINK
Posted by: Esther Brink | 2012-02-23

ons almal wag op ''n antwoord.my moeder is dood a.g,v, borskanker en my GINEKOLOOG DR TOPIE DE VILLIERS het my op LIVIFEM gesit. ek het geen knoppe meer in my borse nie GEEN WARMGLOEDE ENS. . NOU IS LIVIFEM NIE MEER BESKIKBAAR . ONS SOEK ANTWOORDE

Reply to Esther Brink
Posted by: Lynda Pitcher | 2012-02-23

Hi can you give me any idea when i will be able to get Livifem again, the patch I was prescribed as a substitute has made me ill and put on weight. Will it be months, years or not at all.......Help

Reply to Lynda Pitcher
Posted by: fred | 2012-02-15

Ask any pharmacist how many Ad -|- medicines are not available at present!!!

Reply to fred
Posted by: LORRAINE BERRANGE | 2012-02-15

The question is, is LIVIFEM ever going to become available and when? Is there a generic for LIVIFEM and if so, please supply the name?

Reply to LORRAINE BERRANGE
Posted by: lindsey | 2012-02-13

Maybe Prudence is an idiot and believes the rubbish she is spouting, just like a parrot. Surely Ad -|- Ingram knew ages ago that a new insert was needed.
I think the Bulls& mdash t bug that we keep hearing from all the goverment departments is starting to infiltrate the private sector.
They could have imported stocks or stockpiled long ago.
Lindsey

Reply to lindsey
Posted by: jane mcarthur | 2012-02-12

Ad -|- Ingram should be censured loudly in the press. We are not being told the truth. Surely they should have made contingency plans? Please could a consumer journalist take this up with them? I have spoken to ''Prudence'' and got the same bumpf as in the press release.

I am on the Estalis patch, as a ''substitute'', and at the age of sixty eight am having a full blown period.

Reply to jane mcarthur
Posted by: Susan Wright | 2012-02-08

I have been on Livifem for six years, I have been without it for two months, it seems like two years, I am always tired, lack interest in anything, have no libido, the patches I now use are no substitute for Livifem, I check every day on availability. please bring back our miricle drug as soon as possible. Thank you.

Reply to Susan Wright
Posted by: JLT | 2012-02-08

Why oh why, is the burning question? burning, because all us ladies are burning from continual flushes &  may I add burning indignation for Ad -|- Ingram that we as loyal livifem users have not been considered at all, as with a little forethought for the gals who have for years and years paid about 4 times the cost of other hrt''s to save our sanity, to stop us from kicking the dog and strangling the cat and taking a rolling pin to our poor long suffering husbands. Why on earth did they not make enough of these miracle pills to tide the market over until all the paperwork was sorted out, or at least to import them from the U.K or USA or any other country that is producing them, as I believe it is only in S.A that women are being denied this wonderpill!!!! Please Ad -|- Ingram, for my sake and the sake of fellow womankind get something organised for us NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to JLT
Posted by: JK | 2012-02-05

I have been on Levifem for at least 18yrs with no side effects and I felt fantastic. Now I am on an alternative which is making me have hot flushes, tired and no interest in anything.
Please can we get Levifem back as a matter of urgency

Reply to JK
Posted by: christl allen | 2012-02-05

PLEASE BRING LIVIFEM BACK - URGENTLY NEEDED!!!!!

Reply to christl allen
Posted by: Lynda Pitcher | 2012-02-04

My doctor has recommended patches until Livifem returns, I feel awful. I have been bleeding for the first time in five years, sweating uncontrollably and feeling dizzy and nauseous. During the years I took Livifem I had no side effects and felt fantastic. Please hurry up and get it back on the market.

Reply to Lynda Pitcher
Posted by: Lesley Jansen | 2012-02-03

I cannot find an alternative that suits and am suffering from headaches and petite mal attacks have resumed without Livefem.

Reply to Lesley Jansen
Posted by: OBJ | 2012-02-01

Perhaps Prudence Mbatha would like to tell us who did not do their job properly?? Is she aware of how many women rely on this drug for their sanity??

From what she says this is paperwork that has not been done. Please advise who should have done this and when this person is likely to have completed the job they get paid for.

This is a crying shame and whom ever is responsible should lose their job.

Reply to OBJ
Posted by: Margaret Kansen | 2012-01-31

So when is it coming back on the market ???? Hot flushes getting me down.

Reply to Margaret Kansen
Posted by: Alta Erasmus | 2012-01-25

What is happen to Livifem, I was told we not getting it anymore?
Please say thats not''s not true

Reply to Alta Erasmus
Posted by: Adriyana Dubbelt | 2012-01-25

PLEASE PLEASE WHEN WILL WE GET LIVIFEM???????
THE REPLACEMENT OF HRT I AM USING IS MAKING ME SICK.

PLSE SUPPLY THE PHARMACIES URGENTLY

THANK YOU

Reply to Adriyana Dubbelt
Posted by: SHEREEN KHAN | 2012-01-23

PLEASE ADVISE WHEN WILL LIVIFEM BE AVAILABLE.

Reply to SHEREEN KHAN
Posted by: Pat Wallace | 2012-01-22

I was informed by a pharmacist that they had been informed that the reason Livifem was not available was that the " Quality Control"  place in SA had burnt down! Any truth in that rumour. Why it would only effect Livifem I don''t know. I am sweating as I write this.

Reply to Pat Wallace
Posted by: Jewely Watkins | 2012-01-22

Please keep me informed as to the possible completion of the -related documentation which have to be updated to comply with global requirements. I am putting the milk bottle in the washing machine for goodness sake! There should be a law against taking something like this off the market... and that for documentation regulations!
Greetings
Jewely

Reply to Jewely Watkins
Posted by: madri human | 2012-01-14

After a lot of visits to my doctor and a specialist,I''m allergic to conventional HRT. Livifem is the only thing on the market that works for me.I''m the whole day in sweat with heart palpulations and headaches, anable to do my job.I''m a teacher.What must I do?

Reply to madri human
Posted by: May | 2012-01-10

Can you please advise me when Livifem will be available in South Africa again?

Reply to May
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011-12-05

* Changes in labelling and packaging.

Prudence Mbatha,
External communications manager,
Adcock Ingram

Reply to pharmacist