Question
Posted by: anxious | 2011-02-17

LIVER RESULTS

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am not sure how long I have been on Lipitor (12 yrs+!) with changes to the dosages over the years, 20mg, 40mg, 60mg and then finally 80mg. 80mg - not sure 2-3 yrs.

On the higher dosages I was always having regular liver function tests and they were always fine. My gp said levels can be even higher than what I have had from Lipitor - hate to think how high that would be - mine have been 10-15 times higher than normal levels. Maybe thats why its taking so long to get back to normal levels!

I never thought Lipitor side-effects could make one feel so sick!

A long time ago I did try Ezetrol but was combining it with 10mg Lipitor - it worked like a charm - my cholesterol levels were below 4 - but I had to stop the Ezetrol because the levies were too expensive and Discovery refused to approve it on chronic. I am now wondering whether the Ezetrol would work on its own. I asked my gp about Ezetrol and he didn''t say anything about considering it or not! I guess I will have to wait for next week''s results.

Hi Anxious,
Ezetrol will probably work on its own. It is however unusual that your liver will only now react to the Lipitor if you have been using it for so long and the liver functions were always normal. But I agree with your doctor to rather be cautious. When your liver functions have normalized, one could maybe "test" the Lipitor again to see if the liver reacts again - maybe you had another underlying viral infection making it more sensitive recently.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-02-17

Hi Anxious,
dr Bets