Question
Posted by: Christel Marais | 2011/07/21

Liver problems

What must I eat if I have a liver problem?

Dear Christel
It depends on the type of liver problem you suffer from? In general, conditions like gallstones or hepatitis, can be treated with a diet that is low in fat and rich in protective nutrients provided by fresh fruit and vegetables. The use products like Essentiale or Pro-Hep or Guronsan can also help the liver to recover. On the other hand liver problems like fatty degeneration or cirrhosis would require a specialised diet. Depending on the severity of your liver problem, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for your condition which takes the type of liver problem, its severity, any medications you may be using and other individual factors into account. Click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and do a Search for 'Diet in Gallbladder Disease' for tips on how to lower your fat intake.

3
Posted by: Lee | 2011/07/22

Depends on what you problem is. I have Gilbert''s syndrome which is not life-threatening but makes me very sick sometimes. I cannot eat seafood unless it is ultra-fresh. What other people can tolerate, my liver lets me know within 2 hours if something was even slightly off.

I dont eat highly processed foods (like yellow cheese and viennas) or wheat products (like bread and cake and pastries).
It''s been 8 months now and my health has much improved. I also steer clear of alcohol.
Post again and tell the doc what you''ve been diagnosed with.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Frederick Mothibedi | 2011/07/22

the causes of liver inflamation-remedy-what to avoid

Reply to Frederick Mothibedi

Dear Christel