Posted by: Captain | 2009-02-26

Liver Functions

I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis in June 2007, which led to acute respiratory failure, kidney failure. I spent some 4 months in hospital (2 months in ICU). While in recovery, I developed obstructive jaundice due to blocked bile duct constricted by swollen pancreas. My bilirubin levels went up and up and a biliary bypass was performed.

Before the biliary bypass, my bilirubin levels was abnormally high, Alk-Phos and Gamma GT in the region of 200 –  300. After the biliary bypass surgery, my bilirubin came down and within 3 months it was normal again. Just after the bypass surgery, the alk-phos and Gamma GT went up to about 600 and 900 respectively, and is still relatively constant at these values after almost a year. My doctors are not too much worried about these levels, as long as it doesn’ t increase and the bilirubin levels stay normal. I’ m going for checkups bi-annually

I’ m not using any alcohol since June 2007, is more active and eat much healthier. I’ m a bit worried though about the high alk-phos and gamma GT levels. Does it imply residual liver damage or could this be related to blocked bile duct?

Dear Captain
GammaGT and alk phos usually indicate bile duct damage and it could have been due to the previous episode of pancreatitis and obstructive jaundice. If the levels stay constant and you don't have any symptoms, I don't think you have to worry, just continue with regular check ups

Posted by: Captain | 2009-02-27

Thank You

Now the life insurers just look at the high Gamma GT levels and don' t want to insure me.

At least I' m in no immediate danger.

Reply to Captain