Question
Posted by: Pam | 2008/06/24

Liver flush?

I want to do a liver flush where you drink apple juice alone for 3 days. On the third day, the juice is followed by drinking a cup of olive oil and a cup of lemon juice.

Did it work and how safe is it? Is it good for your liver and what are the side effects? Can this in any way be fatal if you maybe have very large gallstones that you don't know about, because I read that this is actually done to get rid of gallstones, if any?

Dear Pam
This is not needed. Your body gets rid of excessive gall by draining it into the intestines. Gallstones develop because the gall bladder does not contract properly and taking a flush will not have any effect on this. The tube between the gall bladder and the intestines is so small ( 2mm) that gallstones usually do not pass through it anyway but stay in the gallbladder.