Question
Posted by: Jacque | 2011/05/30

Liver detox

Hey there

They say it is not recommended to do a liver detox in the winter, why is this and if i do it, will it harm me. I really need it.

Dear Jacque
Detox diets are risky at the best of times, not only in winter, and esp if someone suffers from impaired liver function. Last year the media splashed the news that detox diets were harmful and even deadly over all the newspapers and magazines. This was based on the reports of deaths caused by electrolyte imbalances that patients had suffered during detoxing. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and search for the article "DETOX DIETS - DO THEY WORK OR ARE THEY HARMFUL?" which I wrote to warn Readers against these practices. If you have overindulged and feel that your liver is sluggish, then products such as ProHep or Guronsan or Essentiale which help the liver remove toxins, plus a low-fat diet should rather be used. Increase your fluid intake moderately to about 2,5 litres (in total) per day, avoid all alcohol and cut down on caffeine (not more than 2 cups of coffee or 4 cups of tea a day). Rather switch to rooibos.
I hope your liver will soon be functioning better.

2
Posted by: Ruby | 2011/06/01

HOW much protein for a lady 60yrs 70kg with liver cirrosis? dr said " little protein" 

Reply to Ruby

Dear Jacque