Question
Posted by: Fran | 2010/09/01

Liver cancer follow up

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my enquiry - much appreciated! I am happy to say we are doing a great job in controlling the pain with the prescribed medication.

I am concerned about Rimadyl''''s potential to cause liver toxicity - but I realized that my vet probably knows that my dog will statistically spoken rather suffer from the cancer than the medication side-effects and yes, no medication is without potential side-effects.

I assume that after two weeks of daily Rimadyl intake, my dog would have shown some of the immediate side-effects, if he was effected in some way.

I have no information on the type of liver tumour - but will be following up with my vet, hopefully he can run some tests?regards,
Fran

Hi Fran

Glad that the pain is being managed.

Please keep me informed as to how you get on.

It can be difficult to determine with severity of the liver tumour without an ultrasound scanner.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2010/09/01

Fran

If you look up Rimadyl there are scare stories aplenty - this is the nature of the web.

While you do obviously need to be aware of what to look out for, don''t forget that all the millions of dogs that take Rimadyl without ill effect aren''t reported on the Web - only the dramatic ones.

In fact, statistically Rimadyl is quite safe. The real issue is that in the very unlikely event that there is a reaction, it is likely to be quite serious.

I agree that if your dog''s taken it for two weeks without ill effect, you''re probably ok, and I also agree that in fact pain management is paramount in a case like this. Your vet is definitely on the right track with that.

Best of luck with the dog - hope he''s ok for ages to come.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/01

Hi Fran

Glad that the pain is being managed.

Reply to CyberVet