Question
Posted by: Riana | 2010/07/19

Liver cancer

My Husky has been diagnosed with liver cancer. The only treatment he is on is Predizone. For the first two weeks it was 3 in the morning and 3 at night. (He had no proteine in his blood according to the Lab) It has now being reduced to 3 in the morning only. Is there anything we can do for him for eg. give him iron tablets, liver or beetroot?

Hi Riana Sorry to here that your dog has cancer and sorry I thought I had replied to your question. You can get liver tonics/liver diets for animal with liver problems. The issue is whether these products will provide relief and prolong your dogs quality of life given that he probably has advanced liver cancer. The vet should be able to assist you in this matter. Remember that you also have alternative treatment to make the dog more comfortable. Do you by any chance know the extent of the tumour - has an x-ray been taken, ultrasound scan? Has a quided fine need aspirate or biopsy been taken to confirm the type of tumour - some can be benign and others malignant? Common types of liver tumours •hepatocellular carcinoma (malignant), adenoma (usually benign) •hepatoblastoma (rare) •biliary carcinoma (malignant), biliary adenoma (benign) •neuroendocrine (carcinoid) tumors (rare) •hemangiosarcoma (a malignancy of blood vessels, a common secondary tumor) •fibrosarcoma (a malignancy of fibrous tissue) •osteosarcoma (a bone malignancy) •leiomyosarcoma (a smooth muscle malignancy)

2
Posted by: Riana | 2010/07/20

Please let me know what you think.

Reply to Riana
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/07/19

Reply to CyberVet