Question
Posted by: Allen | 2010/11/10

Liver

Please could you help me.
I have been training for the last 7 years &  dieting as a typical body builder. I put on some mass over the years but for the past 2 1/2 years I have been unable to put on any muscle nor lose any fat. I have done it all, literally just about every diet out there, had the various blood tests and even went as far as taking steroids, with the correct supervision.
What I''''d like to know is, could my lack of progress be due to a sluggish liver function? I have read that it stops all forms of progress (muscle gain &  fat loss) as well as cause brain fog (which I also suffer from). If the problem is my liver, what can I do to rectify the problem?

Thank you.
Allen

Dear Allen
If you have been doing weight training exercises for 7 years and probably eating large amounts of protein then you may well have reached your maximum muscle capacity. Every person is either an endomorph, an ectomorph or a mesomorph. Basically only ectomorphs have the capability of developing their muscles to extreme levels. If you have taken steroids (which is a great pity) then this can be the cause of your bain fog and the combination of a very high protein diet which usually goes hand in hand with a high fat intake, and the steroids can well have damaged your liver. I would firstly recommend that you have a full physical examination by a medical doctor because if you do have liver damage this can be very serious and pose a threat to your future health. You may require medical treatment to rectify the problem. Once you have a diagnosis we can see what dietary changes you need to improve your liver function, which would entail eating a very-low fat diet and taking supplements like Pro-Hep to try and assist the liver in its recovery.
Take care

1

Dear Allen
Take care