Question
Posted by: Allen | 2010/11/10

Liver

Please could you help me.
I have been training for the last 7 years &  dieting as a typical body builder. I put on some mass over the years but for the past 2 1/2 years I have been unable to put on any muscle nor lose any fat. I have done it all, literally just about every diet out there, had the various blood tests and even went as far as taking steroids, with the correct supervision.
What I''''d like to know is, could my lack of progress be due to a sluggish liver function? I have read that it stops all forms of progress (muscle gain &  fat loss) as well as cause brain fog (which I also suffer from). If the problem is my liver, what can I do to rectify the problem?

Thank you.
Allen

Hi Allen

It's possible, one could never rule it out, and the fact that you've seemed to hit a plateau even while taking steroids is very unusual. It's impossible for me to guess at what the cause is - you've been training long enough to know what kind of workouts you need to increase muscle mass, so it's not a typical case of a guy who isn't training optimally. It's probably also not a case of inadequate diet, and so perhaps you've just hit a 'genetic ceiling', which can happen. I don't know what your current muscle mass or body mass are, so I can't guess at this.

If you have had blood tests, then presumably you have seen a doctor? If not, I would suggest that, and see if they can diagnose something - could be something like hyperthyroidism (though you'd probably have other symptoms, but can't rule it out). So yes, I'd see a doctor and treat it this way.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/11/14

Hi Allen

Reply to fitnessdoc