Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2008/09/17

Live Detox

Hi Doc.

Please tell me how do i go about detoxing my liver?
What can i get at the pharmacy for this?
Or how do i go about this naturally?
How would i know that my liver needs detoxing?
I just got an email to say that your liver need detoxing at least twice a year.Is this true?
Thnx
Kelly

Dear Kelly
I don't know who sent you the e-mail about detoxing your liver twice a year, but if you don't drink alcohol in excessive quantities or live on very high-fat foods, then it is not really necessary to detox. Your liver is more than capable of looking after itself. All it needs is for you to eat a balanced diet rich in protective nutrients (lots of fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, wholegrains and cereals, lean meat, fish 3 times a week, and small quantities of mono- or polyunsaturated fats and oils). Make sure that you drink 2,5 litres of Liquid a day (water, rooibos tea, tea, fruit juice, soda water, etc) and do some healthy exercise like going for a brisk walk every day for 30 min to improve blood circulation to the liver. Most detox products are actually harmful because they contain harsh laxatives which can distrub bowel function and cause dehydration. If you do drink excessive amounts of alcohol then you can buy products like Essentiale or Prohep at the chemist that contain B vitamins and glucuronic acid to help the liver bind waste products for excretion.