Question
Posted by: polyanna | 2009-11-19

live blood analysis

What is the truth about live blood analysis and its usefulness? I recently went for a consultation with a medical practictioner (qualified MD and pharmacologist), and based on my blood sample (shape of blood cells, formation of rouleau etc), he said I had indications of slight blood acidity, iron deficiencies, and protein digestion problems. He then recommended a variety of supplements (not specific brands, just in general descriptive terms), and that I should avoid wheat, dairy, and refined sugars based on my profile. However, throughout all this he made it clear that these were suggestions and I should consult a qualified nutritionist/dietician/other professional for more detailed and conclusive analysis and diagnosis. At the time, this seemed like a sensible approach but after reading various articles on how unreliable and ' unscientific'  live blood analysis is, I' m not so sure. What do you think?

PS And what about metabolic balancing to facilitate weight loss?

Dear Polyanna
I must admit that I do not believe in "live" blood analysis. If you have a blood test done by a path lab and it shows that you suffer from an iron deficiency, then I would accept this and recommend that you take an iron-folic acid supplement such as FerroFolic and eat foods rich in iron: Lean meat, liver, fish, egg yolk, iron-fortified cereals and bread and dried fruit, esp raisins with their pips (chew the pips). In the same vein, I would accept the information about wheat and dairy allergies or intolerances if you have had a proper allergy test conducted by an accredited path lab. Without this type of evidence I would not start cutting out wheat and dairy because this can lead to real deficiencies (for example if you cut out all dairy products then you are at serious risk of developing calcium deficiency). The only piece of advice that I agree with is that consultation with a dietitian will be good if you do have any of the conditions the dr mentioned. For example if you do have a wheat or diary allergy the dietitian will assist you to apply a wheat or dairy-free diet which is a complex thing to do and also recommend calcium supplements to make up for the lack of dairy in your diet is you actually need to cut it out. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The same applies to “metabolic balancing for weightloss”. The balancing required for weightloss is to reduce your energy intake and increase your energy output! None of these other rather weird and wonderful tactics really works.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-11-20

Dear Polyanna