Question
Posted by: Energizer Bunny | 2009-01-12

Little sleep &  health

On average I sleep about 4-5 hours a night. I go to the gym practically every day after work and over weekends for 1 hour at a time. The only times I feel tired is when I become bored (at work for instance) or often from about 10pm (especially if I' ve had an intense workout) and then I feel REALLY tired. Also, no matter at what time I go to bed, I ALWAYS wake up early (say between 5 and 6am, sometimes even earlier). A while ago I also woke up a couple of times during the night every few nights for about a month or so. That, fortunately, has passed.

I' ve done an extensive bit of reading on the subject of sleep but I must admit that I still haven' t come to a conclusion on whether or not I can continue sleeping as little as I do without it having some detrimental effect on my short term and/or long term health. It is said that the amout of sleep needed differs from individual to individual and that some people can function normally with 4 hours, whereas others need 8-9 hours a night. However, it is also said that lack of sleep increases the chances of developing heart disease, cancer, etc.

I am quite confused and would appreciate your opinion on the matter. Is something wrong with me, physically.. or psychologically...?

Thank you :-)

Dear Energizer Bunny
Some people do need very little sleep. However, if this causes you to feel tired or impairs your concentration, or make you irritable and prone to anger outbursts, you may have a sleep disorder. You can have it tested at a sleep lab overnight - they do an EEG (something that measures the brainwaves) while you sleep to see if you have a normal sleep pattern and whether you get enough deep phase sleep (REM sleep) In general, you can monitor your cholesterol and blood pressure and do an ECG of the heart yearly.