Posted by: Scarlet | 2009-09-21

Little one won' t eat

My baby is 9 months old and I started solid food at 6 months. However, very often he just won' t eat. He' ll move his face away from the spoon and gesture " no" .
I' m concerned as other kids his age are eating well and regularly.
I breastfeed at 7am, porridge at 9am, breastfeed at 11:30, then he goes down for a nap till about 1:30. Wakes up to lunch and a breastfeed and then breastfeeds at about 4:30 again. Dinner is at 7pm because before then he is just not interested.
I do not add salt, oil, dairy or sugar to his food just yet, so maybe he finds the food bland?
He' ll often eat it if he tastes that it' s fruit, otherwise no luck.
Am I doing something wrong or was 6 months too late? (paediatrician' s recommendation).
Also my mum often gives him tasty things (with added salt or sugar), could this be messing with his taste preferences?

Dear Scarlet
Firstly your paediatrician was correct that babies should if at all possible be exclusively breastfed and not receive solids before the age of 6 months. This is to enable their digestive systems to mature to the point where they can handle solids more easily. It is quite possible that your baby is getting sufficient nutrients from your milk because you have listed that you breastfeed him 5 times during the day. You may find that if you skip the 4:30 pm feed and give him some solids such as pureed vegetables, pureed fruit or yoghurt that he will be prepared to eat. Also keep in mind that babies have a very small stomach capacity and one or two teaspoons of a solid may fill him. You need not worry about the foods being bland as it is advisable for babies not to have salt (their kidneys can't handle high salt intakes) or sugar. Another golden rule is that you need to offer him a new food repeatedly (and this can take a long time) until he accepts it. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on "DietDoc's articles' and search for the 2 articles I have written on: "WEANING FOODS INFLUENCE THE REST OF YOUR CHILD’S LIFE " and "WHAT WEANING FOODS TO GIVE BABY" for additional information on weaning.