Posted by: Sally | 2009-07-01

Little hard particles from throat

Hello- I have been to doctors but nothing has helped. I get these little yellowish/ off white particles that come from my throat, I have a constant post nasal drip as well. These little particles smell horrible like a number 2.. Its about the size of a half grain of rice and feels the same as cooked rice when u press it.. Please help me, this is making my breathe smell horrible too. I dont know what to do. It come out when I cough sometimes

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Sally

The most likely cause for the white particles is something we call "tonsilloliths" or "tonsil stones". These little yellow stones are soft and smelly and are in fact old food particles that are calcified. They are formed in the tonsil crypts (little cavities in the tonsils). They are easily identified if one looks at the tonsils.

Treatment for this can be either:
1. Regular mouth gargles. This doesn't always help.
2. Tonsillectomy

Consult your ENT and discuss the possibility of tonsillectomy.