Question

Litter box sand

Please help

What is the best little to use? I have 5 kittens between 3 and 5 months. Is the ultra fine better than the coarse? How long do you keep on sifting until you change all the sand, I find that if I keep it cleaned 2 x day and " swirl"  the sand around it lasts a long time and there seems to be no urine smell at all.

Dear Anon

Most people prefer silicone and change it once a month.

2
Posted by: Gogga | 2009-05-05

For adults I use the crystals. But for kittens I think the crystals will hurt their little paws, the ultrafine should be perfect. If you scoop out the poop and stir the sand, you can keep it until it starts to smell before replacing it.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: mb | 2009-05-04

With our older cats we find that the silicone litter works best for us, firstly because it' s good at trapping smells, and secondly because the cats dislike it and therefor only use it in an emergency, mainly doing their business outside. This means that the stuff lasts us ages, because it doesn' t get used much. Not really sure what' s best between the fine and the coarse litter, but I know that cats love the feel of fine sand! (at some point we went back to the normal litter, and the cats stopped going outside to do their business altogether! they just enjoyed the litter too much...)

If you have multiple trays you can leave it outside after you' ve cleaned it and " stirred"  it around a bit to dry out. That should take care of urine smells up to a point.

Reply to mb