Question
Posted by: Bell | 2012-05-01

Lithium vs lamotrigine

Hallo Cybershrink,

I would like to ask you about which is the better drug to take chronically: lithium or lamotrigine, including the long term side effects of taking the medication. I know that the lithium is quite hard on the kidneys in long term usage.

Also, which one has the least side effects?

Thank you,
Bell

I understand what you want, but there is no such answer as the one you seek. My old granny would say "How long is a piece of string ?" - it depends on how you cut it and what you want to do with it.
Lithium and lamotrigine are among a number of alternatives in controlling mood swings, and we vary in how we react to them. One may be brilliantly helpful for you, and the other of no use at all. Some of us have major side-effects on one or other of those, some of us experience really few.
You really need to discuss these and maybe also other alternatives, in some detail with your prescribing psychiatrist, to discuss all the factors needing to be taken into account in selecting such meds, and then try them and see how they work for you.

1