Question
Posted by: Tertia | 2010/10/20

Lithium and Attarax

My fiance is bi-polar and on Lithium. He is now also on Attarax. Is it good? He expierences black out since on Attarax.

I have never found the slightest use for Aterax, a drug which seems inexplicably popular with some SA doctors. It is absolutely not recommended for use in treating Bipolar Disorder, and I cannot think of any of its effects which would be useful in that condition. It is extremely sedative, and likely to make one very drowsy.
Call the prescribing doctor and describe these problems since the Aterax was started, and ask for advice on that.
Lithium is a long-standing mainstream treatment for Bipolar which is definitely useful in its treatment, as it helps to stabilize mood swings.
Is he being treated by a GP or a Psychiatrist ? I would be surprised by a psychiatrist using Aterax. Bipolar Disorder should ALWAYS be treated by a specialist psychiatrist and not by a GP, although a GP can monitor progress and provide repeat prescriptions between visits to the psychiatrist

2
Posted by: Tertia | 2010/10/20

Thank you. He is being treated by a psychiatrist and phycologist. He has stopped using them since Monday and will be seeing his psychiatrist this afternoon and I am going with and will tell her what I have learned from you. In my opinion it is a dangerous drug. Once again thank you.

Reply to Tertia