Question
Posted by: Jenna | 2002/10/31

Q.

List of Shedule Drugs in South Africa

With Discovery Health not covering Schedule 0, 1 and 2 drugs from next year, I would like to know where to get a list of the common medications so I can pass it on to the staff in our company. What and how will it affect people getting medicine and what will they have to pay for themselfs?

Jenna

Expert's Reply

A.

Hi Jenna

I'm not aware of any list of Schedule 0,1 and 2 SA medications available on the internet. Discovery Health has a drug database on their website - and they should be able to inform you as to what the payment model will be.

CyberDoc

4
user comments

C.

Posted by: edward burns | 2014/08/06

is sativex available in south africa, if not is there any way i can get some.

Reply to edward burns
Posted by: anxious | 2002/11/04

Jenna

PLEASE accept my apologies. It would appear that you are in fact a Discovery staff member, as Client Services says that what you quoted is in fact the case (unfortunately!) and the only way that you would know, is if you were a staff member, as this has not been communicated to members yet. As far as I am concerned this is grossly unfair, particularly as they are also forcing members to use generics if they don't want to pay a levy and are increasing premiums substantially (14.8%!) from Jan - but then that's another whole story!

Apologies Jenna!

Reply to anxious
Posted by: anxious | 2002/11/03

Jenna

You appear to have got your facts very wrong about Discovery Health not covering the abovementioned scheduled medications from next year. It seems quite clear that you are confusing this with their change in medication payments, i.e. they are now paying 100% of cost for generic dispensed medication, with no levy charge, but still pay for non-generic dispensed medication with a 25% levy. In my e.mail 2003 plan details I received recently, nowhere did it specify that they will no longer pay for medication which is under Schedule 3 medication. You should cleary have checked with Discovery Health Client Services before making such alarming incorrect statments.

PS If any Discovery staff read this sight perhaps they could confirm to Jenna that this is correct!

Reply to anxious
Posted by: anxious | 2002/11/02

Jenna

Do you work for Discovery? I am a member of Discovery and until now was not at all aware that they would not be covering these schedule medications. Does this also include these schedule medications on prescription? I am often prescribed under Schedule 3 medications, i.e. Schedule 1 & 2 medications and it will now be a huge blow for me if this is the case, especially as I do not have a job and I suffer terribly in winter with chronic sinus problems, often leading to bronchitis etc.

Reply to anxious

Want to comment?