Posted by: PP | 2009-09-29

Lately, I have heared all sorts of contradicting statements regarding alcoholic beverages and weight loss

My dietician tells me that: If I stick to Whisky and water, I should still be able to lose weight

1) what is the difference between beer, brandy, whisky and all other sorts of liquor
2) will I indeed lose weight if I continue this trend?

Please assist, thanks!

Dear PP
All alcohol provides 29 kJ per gram which is second only to fat (37 kJ per gram), so in general, it is better to cut out alcoholic drinks when you are tring to lose weight. According to the SA Food Tables, beer contains 172 kJ per 100 ml, wine contains 298 kJ per 100 ml and spirits like whisky contain 1044 kJ per 100 ml. However, most people tend to drink much large quantities of beer and wine as a "serving". So let's say you compare the energy content of one can of beer (340 x 172 = 585 kJ), one glass of red wine (175 x 298 = 522 kJ) and one metric tot (25ml) of whisky (25 x 1044 = 261 kJ), then having the whisky with water (no kJ) will be the best option.
Your dietitian, therefore, has recommended that you have the alcoholic beverage that is consumed in the smallest quantity thus limiting the energy content. If you stick to one small tot of whisky per day and only mix it with water or soda water, then it should not interfere with your weightloss. The moment you starting having larger tots and drinking more than one glass or start adding sweetened cold drinks to your spirits, your energy intake will increase.