Posted by: Anon | 2009-02-09

Liquids while breastfeeding

I know that you shouldn' t exceed 3L of fluids a day. However, I am breastfeeding and am EXTREMELY thirsty. This might sound strange, but I crave water (desperately) while I feed
I sometimes drink 5-6L a day. Is this bad?

Dear Anon
I do think that you are drinking too much water, and that this can have a dangerous effect on your health. Water intoxication can lead to electrolyte disturbances because the excessive water intake dilutes important minerals like potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium in your body. This in turn can lead to cramps and in severe cases can be fatal. Please for your own sake and that of your baby do have a checkup with the dr who oversaw you pregnancy to make sure that you don't have an underlying physical problem (kidney failure, gestational diabetes, etc). Ask the dr to test if your blood levels of potassium and sodium are not getting too low. The dr will prescribe the necessary treatment.