Question
Posted by: Helen Spangenberg | 2012/07/18

Liquid breakfast

Dear DietDoc

My 7 year old refuses to eat breakfast. The only thing he will have is a Bokomo Up n Go in the mornings which contains milk and weetbix. It lists all sorts of vitamins on the box but I''m still worried that its not the right thing for him. Can you give me some advice?

Dear Helen
If your 7-year-old eats Bokomo Up n Go, then he is at least ingesting some food at breakfast. This product has a low GI and contains milk which is rich in calcium and protein, as well as Weetbix which are rich in dietary fibre and B vitamins. If you add a fruit or a glass od fruit juice then your son should be sustained until his first break at school. Children tend to go through phases when they either refuse food or insist on eating only certain foods. In general, the best approach is not to make an issue out of the matter (thus nipping any attention-seeking behaviour in the bud). Your son will probably switch to some other preferred food in a short while. The less attention his behaviour elicits, the faster it should disappear.

1

Dear Helen