Question
Posted by: Marna | 2011/05/19

Lipogram

HDL 1.45
LDL 8.6
Triglyceride 2.51
Fasting
Vegan

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Marna

Your LDL ("bad") cholesterol is very high, but may be partly offset by your favourable (high) level of HDL ("good") cholesterol. You probably have a condition called FH (familial hypercholesteolaemia) which is genetic.

Usually this requires drug treatment, as even the best diet - eg a vegan diet - will not get your LDL cholesterol level anywhere near normal.

You don't mention your age, (or your family history). If you are a young woman and intending to have children then one might defer drug therapy till after pregnancy, but if past child-bearing we would usually recommend you start drug therapy and continue it indefinitely.

My advice would be to see a cardiologist who can confirm the diagnosis and advise you on the best way of dealing with the problem.

I hope this helps. Best wishes

JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/05/31

Hi Marna

I hope this helps. Best wishes

JT

Reply to Cardiologist