Posted by: Michele | 2012-11-28

Lipitor (Generic) &  Crestor Tablets for Cholestrol

I am a 57 year-old post menopausal woman and use Femigel three times per week. My GP initially prescribed the generic of Lipitor for my high cholestrol however it didn''t seem to agree with me causing constipation and insomnia and I generally didn''t feel well on it. He then changed my medication to Crestor which is much better and actually seems to make me sleep deeper and for longer, even better than before I went on the previous tablets! Is this a fact that Crestor can make you sleep better and the reason why the Pharmacist recommends they be taken before bedtime? Please also advise what tests I should have before renewing my 6-month prescription - muscle strength, liver, etc.? Thanks.

Crestor can cause drowsiness. You will have to consult your doctor for a fasting lipid profile, as well as fasting glucose and blood insulin levels.

Posted by: anxious | 2012-11-29

Make sre you have regular liver tests (every 3 months or so), as statins (more so Lipitor) can cause possible liver problems. I had to change from Lipitor generic to Crestor (which has no generic) because I developed serious liver problems while on maximum Lipitor. Fortunately my medical aid agreed to fund the Crestor in full on my chronic because I could prove that I had no choice but to go off the Lipitor!

Reply to anxious