Question
Posted by: Lynn | 2009-01-22

Lipid Levels urgent

Hi, I have been told my lipid levels are too high and i need to reduce that as well as my weight. About how many kg do you think i need to loose to be able to lower the lipid levels, also what exactly is lipid levels? I have lost 7kg do you think this would of reduced my lipid levels or not?

Urgent response humbly requested.

Dear Lynn
The word 'lipid' means 'fat' and in this case refers to fats such as cholesterol in the blood. Generally speaking most experts agree that a loss of 5-10% of your initial body weight will cause your blood lipid levels to come down. So if you weighed 70 kg, then a loss of between 3,5 and 7 kg should make a difference. However, you do not mention how much you weigh at present so I cannot judge is you are still overweight and the only way to determine if your weightloss has lowered your blood lipid levels is to have another blood test done. If your family suffers from high cholesterol, then you would need to lower your intakes of total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. To lower your cholesterol levels basically you will have to eat a diet that is low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and high in dietary fibre and protective nutrients - this entails eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, very lean meat, fish, only 4 eggs per week and only mono- or polyunsaturated margarine or oil (this is where you can use olive oil in normal quantities). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet - if you don't need to lose any weight you can use larger portions of the permitted foods, but should otherwise stick to the portion sizes. You need to check the foods you buy in the supermarket - compare the total fat content of say standard Vienna sausages and that of Low-fat or Lean Viennas - if the latter still contain more than 5g of fat per 100g, then it is better to avoid them. Rather use less processed food, e.g. cook chicken without skin and without added fat (grill or boil in a stew), to have greater control of the fat content than when you eat processed foods. You can also use omega-3 fatty acids (Salmon oil capsules - buy at chemist) to reduce blood cholesterol and try Flora pro-activ which contains plant sterols to lower blood cholesterol (most supermarkets sell this type of margarine). For additional articles, click on 'Diet' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. If you require a specific diet to be worked out for you, then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).