Posted by: Worried | 2009-02-17

Lip tingling, lightheadedness and weak

Since yesterday I have been feeling very weak. I generally have low blood pressure so I went to the pharmacy for a BP check and it was 80/60. So I just took it that was the cause.

Last night I started getting a strange tingling kind of sensation around my lips, in my fingers and every now and then in my lower limbs. I woke up with a terrible head ache in the middle of the night. This morning still weak, a bit light headed and tingling around lips and face.

I went to see my GP as the tingling was worrying me. He checked my BP and it was 110/60. I had eaten marmite toast and drank coffee just before though so that may have pushed my BP up a little to give that result. He ordered a full blood count, thyroid and pregnancy test.

He also said that my throat is a bit red and my temp is 37.5. He suggested that perhaps my symptoms were the cause of a virus. He gave me antibiotics for my throat and sinus. However I am waiting for the test results before I can take the medicine in case of pregnancy. He says I will have the results tomorrow.

In the meantime I am a bit worried and I am feeling so out of it that I am battling to work. This tingling is my main concern. What could be causing these symptoms?ould these be pregnancy symptoms? Why would he send me for a thyroid test?

Dear Worried
Migraine and underactive thyroid can give these symtoms, a viral infection may also be a possible cause and severe anxiety can also cause tingling around the lips. It is not really a symptom of pregnancy. Let your doctor know immediately if the symptoms including the headache get worse. Any signs of paralysis, severe neckstiffness, inability to talk or vision changes are indications that you need to go to an emergency unit.