Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2009/08/13

linear shadows

Can you tell me what pleuro-parenchymal bilateral postero-basal linear shadows could mean on a lung scan? They have significantly increased in size from last year to this year.

Expert ImageArchive

The pleuro-parenchymal bilateral postero-basal linear shadows that have been mentioned are usually the way radiologists will describe changes that they see on lung XRays or scans.

There are numerous potential casues of such changes including old infection (Pneumonia, TB etc.), COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) from smoking or chronic asthma, atelectasis (where the lung tissue begins collapsing causing 'folds' in the tissue) etc.

With out more information I cannot even suggest what the cause, in your particular case, may be.

I'm sure your radiologist, or the doctor that referred you for the scan, will be more than happy to explain it to you in more detail, knowing your history.

Kevin